Thursday, November 29, 2007

Random update (Must read knit-speak to understand this one)

A tease, if you will...

Rainbow socks are being knit in a modified version of the "Fallen Leaves" pattern from Knitty. The original pattern is far too wide for my feet, so I cut 12 stitches off the sock. I started with Judy's Magic Cast-On, and increased to 30 stitches per needle (magic loop method). For the pattern, I centered two repeats of the pattern in the middle. Had 60 stitches total on the needles, 32 on instep and 28 on foot. I took the 4 stitches on each side of the pattern to do a mini cable/twist type stitch (k2tog, k through first stitch again, slip off needle) with a purl on either side. It looks very cool, and basically outlines the sides of my feet.

I made a mini-gusset sort of, adding 4 stitches to each side so the bottom of the foot had 36 stitches on the needles (original pattern number) before I started the short row heel. That way, I could knit the heel exactly as stated in the pattern. It was def. a different sort of short row heel, using YO's instead of the usual W&T method I'm used to. It worked, was interesting, but don't know if I'd do it again. Once I finished the heel, I decreased 2 stitches per row (k2tog on one side, ssk on other) at row ends until I was back to my 60 stitches. By this point I'd stopped knitting the leaf pattern, but kept the mini cable on each side. Now I'm working essentially stockinette stitch around, and adding the mini-twist in two spots in the middle. Then once I have about an inch or so of leg, I will do the cuff in the mini-twist pattern (p1, twist, p1). The twist is a 4-row pattern (twist row 1, knit the stitches for next 3 rows, repeat) so I figure I'll do a 12-row cuff. I plan on a sewn bind-off.

And now that you're trying to wrap your brain around all that, I'm going upstairs to finish knitting the sock so I can take a picture of it to share.

Awww... I feel guilty...

Here's the start to give you an idea.

Pretty Rainbow Sock

Those are Entrelac Stitch Markers there, by the way. Itty bitty ones I'm testing for Ana. I love them. They're pretty and don't get in the way. I hope she decides to make them for sale. I may ask her for more to use on some of the other stuff I'm working on. Only work up to 2.5mm needles (which is what these are). Awesome.

Now I'm really going.

No comments: